- A handy and concise introduction to a complex
novel of Russian literature.
- Provides an
authoritative account of Bulgakov’s life and his struggle to survive during the
- The author has been following Bulgakov studies since the novel first
appeared in the 1970s, and offers a review of all the major critical debates
about the text.
- Offers close analysis of stylistic features of the novel, for readers of
Russian and English alike.
- Provides a helpful comparison of available English translations.
- An up-to-date review of the most recent scholarship about the novel’s
writing and publication history.